Phellandrene is the name for a pair of organic compounds that have a similar molecular structure and similar chemical properties. α-Phellandrene and β-phellandrene are cyclic monoterpenes and are double-bond isomers.
In α-phellandrene, both double bonds are endocyclic and in β-phellandrene, one of them is exocyclic. Both are insoluble in water, but miscible with ether.
The phellandrenes are used in fragrances because of their pleasing aromas. The odor of β-phellandrene has been described as peppery-minty and slightly citrusy.It is colorless to light yellow oily liquid with peppermint aroma. Right-handed body exists in cinnamon oil, ginger oil, elemi oil, cumin oil etc. Left-handed body exists in eucalyptus oil, star anise oil, gump couch oil, laurel oil, pepper oil, etc.
α-Phellandrene was named after Eucalyptus phellandra, now called Eucalyptus radiata, from which it can be isolated. It is also a constituent of the essential oil of Eucalyptus dives.
|α-Phellandrene | p-mentha-1,5-diene | Menthadiene
Application & Uses
- Used as chiral catalysis
- Used in synthetic fragrance and in all kinds of functional and alcoholic perfumes and in fruit imitations
- Used as expectorant
- Used as intermediate of natural anti-cancer drugs like Eleutherobin
- Used as ingredient of Natural insecticides
- Used as Functional Material
Features & Benefits
- A left-handed and a right-handed body two isomer. Right-handed body boiling point of 66 ~ 68 °C, the left-hand body boiling point 58 and 59 °C (2133 pa). Flash point, 49 °C. Soluble in ethanol and ethyl ether, insoluble in water. Right-handed body exists in cinnamon oil, ginger oil, elemi oil, cumin oil etc. Left-handed body exists in eucalyptus oil, star anise oil, gump couch oil, laurel oil, pepper oil, etc.
|Colorless or slightly yellow oily liquid.
|alpha-Phellandrene Content, @GC, %
|GRAS, FEMA, @LD50
- Galvanized Iron Drum (new), 25kg net each
GHS Hazard Statements
|P301+P310 P303+P361+P353 P308+P313 P331 P333+P313 P370+P378 P391
- do not re-use the empty container. Store at 6°C~8°C
- this substance is easily oxidized, need to sealed storage
- it is good general practice to store in closed, preferably full, containers away from heat sources, and protected from extremes of temperature
Minimum Order QuantityQuote required
Lead TimeQuote required
Available IncotermsQuote required
Regional AvailabilityQuote required