Turpentine can be divided into gum turpentine, wood turpentine and sulphate turpentine in the light of sources of raw materials. Gum turpentine is extracted from pine resin by distillation.
Turpentine is colorless to pale yellow oily liquid containing various terpenes. The presence of double bonds and rings in the terpenes enables multiple reactions.
It is composed of terpenes, mainly the monoterpenes alpha-pinene and beta-pinene with lesser amounts of carene, camphene, dipentene, and terpinolene. It is sometimes colloquially known as turps.
It can be used in solvent and as a source of materials for organic synthesis, or as a source of raw materials in the synthesis of fragrant chemical compounds. It also can be used in medicinal elixir and cleaning products.
|Synonyms||Gum Turpentine Oil|
Application & Uses
- used as a solvent for thinning oil-based paints and for producing varnishes. Its industrial use as a solvent in industrialized nations has largely been replaced by the much cheaper turpentine substitutes distilled from crude oil. It is also the ingredient of natural plant solvent.
- used as raw materials in the synthesis of fragrant chemical compounds, such as synthetic camphor, sandalwood, camphor, linalool, alpha-terpineol, and geraniol, which are all produced from multiple reactions of terpenes existed in turpentine.
- used in the pharmaceutical industry, such as cough medicine
- used as an ingredient of many cleaning and sanitary products owing to its antiseptic properties and its “clean scent”
- used as a cosolvent in SMT manufacturing industry
- used as raw material for manufacturing plasticizer and lubricant
Features & Benefits
|Appearance||Transparent clear oily liquid|
|Color, @Gardner||Water white to slightly yellow|
|Acid Value, mgKOH/g||0.5 max|
|Refractive Index, @n20/D||1.465 to 1.475|
|Relative Density, @d20/4||0.856 to 0.872|
|Optical Rotation, @20°C||-28 - -40|
- Packing in galvanized iron drum of about 175kg net each, 80drums/14000kg or per 20'ft container.
- Packing in 1000L IBC drum, 18IBC drums per 20'ft container
- Packing in ISO Tank of 20000KGS
GHS Hazard Statements
- avoid all possible sources of ignition (spark or flame)
- keep container in a cool, well-ventilated area
- keep container tightly closed and sealed until ready for use
- store in a segregated and approved area
|GHS Hazard Statements|
|Response||P301+P310 P303+P361+P353 P304+P340+P312 P305+P351+P338 P331 P333+P313 P337+P313 P370+P378 P391|
- Scientists Discover Another Value to Turpentine and Pine Trees
- Ingevity: Pine-based adjuvants – “Green” and effective
- Q&A with Pine Chemicals Association International President Sherry Keramidas
- Synthesizing the Future
- What are the natural terpenes
- What are the natural terpenes (2)
- Terpenes from Forests and Human Health
- Natural Food Preservatives Materials-Terpenes
- The benefits of Terpenes on health and well-being
- Biological functions and mechanism of plant extracts (1)
- Biological function and mechanism of plant extracts(2)
- Dipentene, an effective, safe, biodegradable cleaning and degreasing material
- R&D on Terpinen-4-ol
Minimum Order QuantityQuote required
Lead TimeQuote required
Available IncotermsQuote required
Regional AvailabilityQuote required